Monday, December 19, 2011

Here's to winging it

Yesterday was cold and grey. Adam has been feeling a little under the weather with a cold and I wanted to make him feel better. I figured a big bowl of homemade soup would hopefully do the trick.

We were driving home from Ramsey after spending time with our families and I realized that I hadn't looked up any recipes for what soup to make that night. I decided that since I had made soup a dozen times before, that at this point I should be able to make up a decent soup recipe on my own. I also knew that I certainly didnt want to go out again to the grocery store once I was home. I decided here goes nothing i'm gonna wing it.

So I racked my brain to try to remember the elements of favorite soups i've made in the past to combine everything into one. First off, sausage makes everything better, so i knew I had to include that. I wanted it to be hearty and healthy and deemed that kale was good choice for a vitamin-packed veggie. There's a pureed lentil soup that we both love that starts with celery, carrots and onion. Adding those to my basket, I grabbed a package of lentils. Knowing that I wanted to mix it up a little with another bean, I decided on white cannelli's.

In my head this "new" soup was a variation of Adam's favorite soup, Tuscan Ravioli Stew, but without the pasta and some other ingredients. I knew i wasnt reinventing the wheel here, but at least i was fairly confident the flavors would work. Just to be safe, after we got home, I consulted The Joy of Cooking cookbook tome and realized I was basically making a lentil soup with a twist.

Satisfied in knowing I was gonna make something delicious, I set upon the task of peeling, chopping and dicing. This soup takes some prep, but it's worth it. The smells emanating from the kitchen as everything is simmering away always makes me remember why I love homemade soup. It makes your soul feel good.

Lentil and Cannellini Bean Soup, with Sausage and Kale

3-4 carrots, diced
3-4 celery stalks, diced
1 large onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 package turkey sausage (sweet or hot), casing removed, cut into small pieces
2 cans of white cannellini beans, rinsed & drained
1 pound dried lentils
1 bunch of Kale, cut into small pieces, ribs removed
2 quarts chicken stock/broth
1 can of stewed/chopped/fire roasted/whatever is on hand tomatoes
3 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed slightly using your hands
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
2 bay leafs
1 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
salt to taste
Parmesan Cheese, grated/shredded

Add sausage to large soup pot and saute in olive oil, breaking up pieces with a spoon. When sausage is mostly cooked through, add carrots, celery and onion, saute for a few minutes, then add garlic, rosemary, thyme and pepper. Continue cooking until vegetables are soft, but not brown.

Add dried lentils, cannellini beans, tomatoes, bay leafs, and chicken stock to the pot and stir to combine. Bring to a boil and skim the foam off the top. Cover and reduce to a simmer. Continue cooking for 35-40 minutes until the lentils are tender, checking occasionally and giving everything a stir.

Once lentils are to your liking, add balsamic vinegar and the chopped kale in batches until its wilted and soft.

Taste. (Don't burn your tongue, soup is very hot!) Add more salt if needed.

Serve with grated/shredded parmesan cheese on top if desired.

Enjoy!

Note: This makes A LOT of soup. I would not try to double it unless you have a massive stock pot. It will make at least 6-8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment